Friday, July 25, 2008

Making your own baby wipes (sewn or from paper towels)

I used to throw away a nickel every time I wiped my baby's butt.

I bought commercial baby wipes. Even when I'd find off brands on sale in bulk packages, I spent half that much per wipe. Now I make my own, saving bucks and landfill space at the same time. If you just invest about two hours one time, you'll never need to make them again for all of your children.

To sew cloth wipes, I buy the fuzziest flannel I can find at my local store (sometimes they have double thick or double nap). I cut it into squares that will fold in half and fit into a box that store-bought wipes came in. I serge around the edges and that’s all. If you don’t have a serger, you could either zigzag the edges or just cut them with pinking shears. Some people use terrycloth or microfiber or Sherpa for wipes, but flannel is cheap and easy for me.

To wet the wipes, I just use plain water. Back when I used to think I needed some fancy stuff in the wipes, I used to make this:

Sue & Bob’s Homemade Baby Wipes Solution
2 c. water
2 T. baby oil or olive oil
1-2 T. baby shampoo or baby wash
1 T. vinegar, if needed

Boil water. (Not sure why, I just did. It's not as if my tap water was unsafe.) Stir in oil and soap. Add vinegar if thrush has been a problem. Pour over flannel wipes in box or in wipes warmer. Replace after 1-2 weeks.


If fabric isn't your thing, or the idea of washing wipes is too much for you, here's a plan shared by my friend Danielle.

Homemade Baby Wipes from Paper Towels
by Danielle B.

Cut a roll of paper towels in half or thirds.

Mix together the ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of water
1/4 to 1/2 tsp of Basic H (a Shaklee product)
2 tablespoons of Small Wonders baby wash
2 tablespoons of Small Wonders baby lotion

Then remove the cardboard roll from my 1/2 or 1/3 of paper towel and place in the container. Let it set for a few seconds, then flip the roll over. Remove the paper towel starting from the center.

A few notes from Danielle: I cut mine in thirds to place in my Tupperware container that I use. The original recipe said to cut in half. Make a batch and then decide if they are too moist or too dry and adjust. I do not use as much liquid as was recommended to me. Choose a good, thick paper towel. Saving money on this ingredient will be a waste of money as the wipes will fall apart.


Wipes solution for the diaper bag
If you keep a container of wet wipes in the car for a long time, they may dry out or even get skunky before you use them. Keep a spray or squeeze bottle full of plain water or wipes solution with your dry wipes or paper towels and it will always be ready. Some use the peri-care bottle they may receive at birth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Thanks for your comment.

I love your blog, chock full of good, practical ideas. I have loved homeschooling my four children as well. Mine are a bit older than yours (8, 5, 2 and 10 months.

Warmly,
Maria